Dr. Michael Swack, Founder and Dean,
School of Community Economic Development at
Southern New Hampshire University
Dr. Michael Swack has more than 25 years experience in the fields of community economic development, development finance, and development banking. He is considered a pioneer in the field of community development lending and investment.
Dr. Swack is the Dean of the School of Community Economic Development (SCED) at Southern New Hampshire University, a school he founded in 1982. SCED provides advanced degree and training programs in community economic development, and has educated more than 2,500 community development practitioners from 100 countries. Graduates build affordable housing, run community development financial institutions, promote microenterprise programs, and develop commercial projects and small businesses in low-income communities around the globe. SCED is also home to the Applied Research Center (ARC), the Center for Community Economic Development and Disability, and the Financial Innovations Roundtable.
Dr. Swack has been involved in the design, implementation, and management of a variety of community development lending and investment institutions, both domestic and international, including the following:
· First chairman and board member (17 years) of the New Hampshire Community Development Finance Authority (CDFA), a state-chartered equity fund for community economic development ventures and projects.
· Past president of the Institute for Community Economics in Springfield, Mass., one of the first community development loan funds in the U.S.
· Founding president and a current board member of the New Hampshire Community Loan Fund.
· Founding board member of National Community Capital (now Opportunity Finance Network) a trade association of community development finance institutions.
· Past member of the Business Council of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
· Member of the Community Investment steering committee of the Social Investment Forum
· Current member of the Community Development Advisory Council of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston also a member of the Research Advisory Council
· Consultant to development finance intermediaries in Africa, Latin America and Asia.
· Chair of the Financial Innovations Roundtable.
Dr. Swack has published in the areas of community economic development and development finance. He received his doctorate from Columbia University, his masters degree from Harvard University and his bachelors degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
School of Community Economic Development
2500 North River Road ¨ Manchester, NH 03106-1045 ¨ 603-644-3103 ¨ FAX 603-644-3130